How did I "recover" from broken spacemacs ?

OK, it wasn’t really that bad, I could have easily “lived” with it.


While thinking of creating API documentation for my project, I first considered Markdown syntax (Later I selected ReST, since sphinx supports it better.)

I also wanted to keep the documentation in .org files. I was planning to export these .org files to .md , which I can commit to git. .md other users can edit, .org is very emacs specific. It is unfair to assume others will be able to maintain them comfortably


At first, I didn’t get “export to markdown” option at all, under SPC-m-e I looked around, and tinkered with my spacemacs configuration. I am sure I did several trial and errors Finally something worked.

I wanted “export to simple markdown”, all I got was export to GFM (GitHub Flavoured Markdown) I didn’t like the <div> tags in the markdown

Now I didn’t know how to “rollback” I commented/removed (what seemed like) relevant config changes, but it didn’t help

Solution (?)

I turned to Time machine, and restored .emacs.d from few days ago. The restore erred out midway

Now when I started emacs, I got vanilla emacs Hence the need to “fresh install”

I first renamed existing .emacs.d to .emacs.d.broken and existing .spacemacs to .spacemacs.broken

Then git clone d it from spacemacs repo

After spacemacs was setup (Takes really long time for the git clone to finish) I compared .spacemacs file with the old one, and ported my changes over.


  1. Turns out Sublime and Vim support Org mode too. See
  2. This post written in .org format. Thanks to Org-mode plugin for Nikola
  3. Somehow using footnotes syntax of Org mode didn’t export well in this Theme.
Share Comments
comments powered by Disqus